Love is verb and I believe the greatest way to support the Orlando victims and LGBT community is to pray for them. For those who do not know my story I am a woman who identified as a lesbian for almost 40 years. Seven years ago I became a fully committed follower of Jesus Christ and began a journey to resolve my new-found faith and sexuality. I now find my primary identity as a Child of God. I care about the issues surrounding sexuality, marriage and gender. In addition I care very deeply for gay identified people. In the aftermath of the attack in Orlando, Florida my heart has been heavy and I have been seeking God’s wisdom for ways to be proactive.
Yesterday, I invited my readers to join me in prayer through the end of June,2016. my post A Call to Mourn For the next three Tuesdays(June 14, 21, & 28) I will be releasing a specific prayer guide with suggestions about how to pray for those impacted by the Orlando shootings. In addition I will include prayer requests for LGBT people and communities worldwide.
This week please join me in praying for the following:
The faces and names of the Orlando casualties
- Pray specifically for families, friends and significant others as they make funeral arrangements and say a final goodbye to their loved ones. Pray for their grieving process; that they discover a God who is near to the broken-hearted. (Psalm 34:18)
- Pray for Gods provision for funeral and medical expenses incurred as result of the shootings.(Galatians 6:10)
- Pray for the Orlando Churches and believers to support the LGBT community in meaningful ways that will draw gay identified people to a relationship with Jesus Christ.(2 Peter 3:9)
LGBT People and Communities Worldwide
Traditionally the last Saturday of June (June 26, 2016) has been set aside as a day of remembrance of the Stonewall Riots in 1969.within the LGBT communities across America; Over time it has expanded to accommodate local communities across the globe. In Dallas, Texas where I reside the local Pride event is September 18, 2016. Do a Google search for the dates in your area.
- Pray for the protection of LGBT people against further attracts at Pride gatherings.
- Pray for local churches and believers worldwide to support the LGBT community in meaningful ways that will draw gay identified people to a relationship with Jesus Christ.
Take it Step Further
May I suggest taking time to gather a small group of friends to do a prayer walk or drive through your local LGBT community or neighborhood.
Thanks for joining me,